Tuesday 29 September 2015

What am I going to make?

OK after much deliberation, I will be making two books and one necklace......., how odd!!!!!
Fabric book first. When making multiples of pages etc, I like to make a cardboard template. Cereal packets are great for this. 
Iron the fabric. This is my prototype so I am using calico. It is relatively cheap, and structurally as strong as the fabric I would use should I move onto the finished piece.
I want multiple pages, so pin sheets together......,
And cut out,
I am going to use Bondaweb, a heat activating sheet of glue,
and calico to create some fabric hinges.






Here all the pages are connected together.
Now for some stiffener for added strength.

Again, I am using Bondaweb to attach the stiffener to the fabric

As we are talking about methods of connection, I thought it would be interesting to explore connections we use every day with out really thinking about them. Connections in clothing.





Now to close the book I am using press studs. Now should I make this book again I would change this and use Velco and put this popper elsewhere in the pages. This is why I like to make prototype, so you can play with the structure and explore its strength and weaknesses. Deconstructing and reconstructing to see how the pieces work best together.












Stitching the book together

Not finished yet, but I am enjoying the form it is creating...., like a cog!
More soon...., and a wooden book, with a time capsule! I think maybe I am having too much fun.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of when I did my C&G in embroidery!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fantastic documentary of the journey and makes me think we need a chop saw !

    ReplyDelete