Thursday 8 October 2015

Lets get these projects finished.

Wood cover book

Tools.
Leather, this is an old coat, bought from a charity shop. I was going to use the satchel, but it was too stiff, even after paring it down....., I didn't like it.

Practice punch, to see how the leather copes with the hole punch.
Mark out a piece .
Cotton fabric.
Liquitex Gell Medium. in this context, glue.

Bernina sport 801, 1985 model. One of my favorite sewing machines.
Just adding a line of stitch around the edge. Mainly for decoration.
Trim off excess leather with a SHARP scalpel.

Black the edges of the leather with ink, picky, picky, picky, I know!
It gets worse, black the holes with a cotton bud and ink.
Thread

To attach the spine to the covers I am using saddle stitch.




Burn edges of thread.
I did all this with the red thread, and I didn't like it, so I took it out and started again with black.
Paper for the signatures, 300 gsm






A stitch cradle, enables you to get the stitches in the same place in each signature. To add the five signature to this book I will be using Pamphlet stitch.
Very useful, but remember NOT to stitch it into your signature!!!
Not easy, but keep going!


I always use a bull dog clip to hold onto the loose thread.

Keeping the threads long until I have decided what I wish to do with them.
Hand tiring the edges of the pages, because I like the difference between the smooth edges of the wood and the rough edges of the paper. ( and I refuse to use the word juxtaposition ) 
I have not made up my mind what to do with the threads yet.



Got lots of these strips of paper left, and I do not want to waste them.
Cat litter tray, not used by a cat. ( The bottle tops/ ring pulls are for another project )
And tea.
If you wish to see what I am going to do with these, head on over to Jobloggs, as this isn't degree stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment