Monday 5 October 2015

Part two, of my book covers


As I mentioned, this is oak from an old school desk, and I want to keep all the scratches and carvings. They are connections to the past.
I was going to put an aperture in the front of this book, but as it's the only desk space I have got at college I am loath to loose a single inch. In fact I am considering putting four legs on it!!!!!
Add colour, boot polish, sand it off, repeat, repeat. Clear first, then dark then light, repeat.

Sand with some wet and dry.
Wire wool
Cups of tea, always help the process.
Marking out for the holes, need an odd number. I shall be using saddle stitch.
Hole punch, to mark the spot.

Drill press.


Cleaning up the burrs.
More boot polish.
Old satchel, clean it up and add some polish. Remove straps, keep for another project! Spend sometime manipulating the leather, getting moving more fluidly before cutting the book spine out.  Also before I decide on the size of the spine I will make some signatures ans see how thick I want my book to be.
Th  Th Th Th That's all folks, until next week.

2 comments: